Contact Yard volunteers provide a positive, interactive experience between our guests and the Contact Yard animals. Greet guests, monitor the public and Contact Yard animals, instruct the public on how to properly interact with the animals, and get hands on experience with goats and sheep! Once you complete your short training session, you may volunteer as much as you like. Shifts begin at 10 a.m. and end at 2 p.m., or begin at 2 p.m. and end at 5 p.m. It is preferred for Contact Yard volunteers to have a regular reoccurring schedule.
What are the benefits of working in the Contact Yard?
The benefits are many and the rewards are great! You will have the opportunity to be a part of a WILDLY fun organization that appreciates and respects its volunteers. Additional benefits include:
Volunteers receive a free associate level membership upon joining, a $55 value, which allows you plus one guest to visit the zoo for free anytime you like. You may upgrade to a higher membership and receive a $55 discount at anytime. If you complete 50 volunteer hours during the year, you will continue to receive the associate level membership for free each year. Also, upon renewal, you will receive 10 free passes to hand out to friends and family.
Volunteers receive a 50% discount on all food/drink concessions when on duty throughout the zoo. This discount is not available at concession carts such as Dippin’ Dots. You may also receive soda and coffee for 25 cents if you supply your own cup.
Volunteers receive a 20% discount on merchandise in the zoo gift shops.
Volunteers receive free parking and access to the zoo’s service entrance (back gate) when on duty.
Volunteers receive free train rides while on duty. Must be wearing uniform and nametag.
Volunteers are welcome to access our Zoo’s Education Library.
Annual Awards & Appreciation
Volunteers are recognized formally and informally throughout the year. All active volunteers are invited to the Volunteer Breakfast in the spring, National Volunteer Appreciation Week events in April, and the volunteer Appreciation Dinner in November. At this event, volunteers are recognized for milestone service anniversaries such as 5 years, 10 years, etc. and for service above and beyond their job descriptions. Awards and volunteer appreciation event are subject to change.
Volunteer Information Center (VIC Net)
As a volunteer, you are able to access VIC Net, an internet based program where you can view upcoming events and sign up for activities. Once logged in, volunteers can read e-mail, open links to PDF documents like the zoo newsletter, see upcoming events and view their hours to date and other information.
Your e-mail address is your user name. A password is automatically generated for you.
Zoo Friends Member Newsletter
Volunteers are required to maintain a Zoo Friends membership. As a member, you will receive the monthly email newsletter sent to all Zoo Friends. This will include upcoming events, classes and other interesting information.
What are the requirements to be part of the Contact Yard?
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Provide proof of a negative TB test.
- Ability to pay $35 joining fee at time of interview, which covers your background check fee, one uniform polo shirt and permanent nametag.
- Pass background check.
- Sign liability release form and handbook acknowledgement form.
- Abide by dress code and wear uniform and name tag at all times.
- Stand (unless in wheelchair) for 4 hours in all varieties of weather.
- Ability to work independently and follow instructions.
- Willingness to work outdoors and perform physical activity.
- Be physically fit (must be able to lift 30 lbs).
- Ability to communicate to the public of all age levels.
- Commit to a minimum of 36 volunteer hours per year.
- Attend all mandatory trainings provided by the zoo.
- Ability to communicate clearly and problem solve.
- Maintain an active zoo membership.
How do I become a volunteer in the Contact Yard?
- Complete the volunteer application.
- Attend volunteer meet and greet to meet with the Tulsa Zoo Volunteer Supervisor.
- Pay $35 joining fee at the time of interview; this covers your background check fee, one uniform polo and permanent nametag.
- Pass a background check.
- Demonstrate proof of a negative TB test.
How do I get more information? Please contact our Volunteer Supervisor, Lisa, at 918-669-6222 or [email protected]