Looking for a just a one-time volunteer opportunity? Email our Volunteer Supervisor, Lisa, at [email protected] to be added to the email list for our October ZooRun and HallowZOOeen volunteer opportunities!
What is a WildBunch volunteer?
Wildbunchers are everywhere and do a little of everything. They help the zoo host successful fundraisers. They provide guest services such as handing out maps, face painting, bartending, train attendants, arts and crafts attendants, selling t-shirts, driving golf carts, etc. There is no training required for this position since every event differs. Our big fundraisers include Waltz on the Wild Side, ZooRun, and HallowZOOeen. Wildbunchers also assist with private events such as weddings, proms, company picnics and birthday parties, as well as any other project the zoo needs help with, from painting, to mulching, to office work.
What can a WildBunch volunteer do?
- Assist with special events, including WALTZ on the Wild Side, animal enrichment day, ZooRun, HallowZOOeen and appreciation nights.
- Assist zookeepers with giraffe feedings by providing crowd control during our Giraffe Experience (seasonal).
- Assist with school group entry (yellow bus fever!)
- Perform office administrative tasks.
- Have fun while volunteering time and energy to a great organization!
There are many more ways to help and the Tulsa Zoo is pleased to offer these opportunities to new volunteers!! Feel free to contact us for additional information.
What are the benefits of being a WildBunch volunteer?
The benefits are many and the rewards are great! As a WildBunch volunteer, you will have the opportunity to be a part of a WILDLY fun organization that appreciates and respects its volunteers.
Additional benefits include:
Volunteers receive a free associate level membership upon joining that allows you plus one guest to visit the zoo for free anytime you like. You may upgrade to a higher membership and receive a $55 discount at any time.
If you complete 50 volunteer hours during the year, you will continue to receive the associate level membership for free each year. Also, upon renewal, you will receive 10 free passes to share with friends and family.
Volunteers receive a 50 percent discount on all food and drink concessions when on duty. This discount is not available at concession carts such as Dippin’ Dots. Supply your own cup to receive 25 cent soda and coffee while on duty.
Volunteers receive a 20 percent discount on merchandise in the zoo gift shops.
Volunteers receive free parking and access to the zoo’s service entrance when on duty.
Volunteers receive free train rides while on duty. Must be wearing uniform and nametag.
Volunteers are welcome to access our Zoo’s Education Library.
Annual Awards & Appreciation
Volunteers are recognized formally and informally throughout the year. All active volunteers are invited to the Volunteer Breakfast in the spring, National Volunteer Appreciation Week events in April, and the volunteer Appreciation Dinner in November. At this event, volunteers are recognized for milestone service anniversaries such as 5 years, 10 years, etc. and for service above and beyond their job descriptions. Awards and volunteer appreciation event are subject to change.
Volunteer Information Center (VIC Net):
As a volunteer, you are able to access VIC Net, an internet based program where you can view upcoming events and sign up for activities. Once logged in, volunteers can read e-mail, open links to PDF documents, see upcoming events and view their hours to date and other information.
Your e-mail address is your user name. A password is automatically generated for you.
Zoo Friends Member Newsletter:
Volunteers are required to maintain a Zoo Friends membership. As a member, you will receive the monthly email newsletter sent to all Zoo Friends. This will include upcoming events, classes and other interesting information.
What are the requirements to be part of the WildBunch?
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Ability to pay $35 joining fee at time of interview, which covers your background check fee, one uniform polo shirt and permanent nametag.
- Pass background check.
- Sign liability release form and handbook acknowledgement form.
- Abide by dress code and wear uniform and name tag at all times.
- Stand (unless in wheelchair) for 4 hours in all varieties of weather.
- Ability to work independently and follow instructions.
- Willingness to work outdoors and perform physical activity.
- Be physically fit (must be able to lift 30 lbs).
- Ability to communicate to the public of all age levels.
- Commit to a minimum of 36 volunteer hours per year.
- Attend all mandatory training provided by the zoo.
- Ability to communicate clearly and problem solve.
- Maintain an active zoo membership.
How do I join the WildBunch?
- Complete the volunteer application.
- Attend a volunteer meet and greet to meet with the Tulsa Zoo Volunteer Supervisor.
- Pay $35 joining fee at the time of interview; this covers your background check fee, one uniform polo and permanent nametag.
- Pass a background check
How do I get more information? Please contact Volunteer Supervisor, Lisa, at 918-669-6222 or [email protected]